Monday 4 January 2010

Creating my video


I wanted to create an instalation which revolves around a piece of music, responding to the rhythmic features tempo. The piece I have chosen is 'Stelify' by Ian Brown. This was a tough choice as I wanted to use a piece that had a stong, heavy pulse to work with and this piece has that, as well as different textures to use.


The challenge I faced was to create an an interesting instalation with the three short clips I had. So I used a variety of different techniques to create a a flowing piece:


The first interesting technique I used was to play the video, but in reverse, making the paint appear to be cleared up by the brush.


Certain clips had to be shortened or stretched, in order to sync them in time with the clip, and I think this created a nice effect.

One technique which I used was to create a 'pixel' effect where I set a series of the clips up on a grid and stagger the entries, with about 4 new clips popping up every second, to create the effect shown below:

To the right shows how I created the staggered effect. I did so by creating roughly 30 new video tracks, and positioning each new track just infront of the previous. This was quite time consuming but I was pleased with the results.






Another process I used was changing the opacity to make seemless entries and to fade clips in and out. To stagger the opacity of a clip, i would drag the yellow bar that lies on top of a clip and stretch it accordingly from 0 - 100% opacity. (The longer the slant, the slower the clip will fade to full opacity.







No comments:

Post a Comment